So lately, as you can probably tell, I have been WAY lax in posting anything on the blog. Reasoning for this is, my life isnt all together too exciting. It is summer, so I don’t have law school to complain about, volleyball is out of club season, I work a lot at the new job (which I absolutely love) and I have really been trying to be out and about enjoying Houston when I am out of the office! So rather than bore you with the detail of my wonderful summer, I just have taken a short sabbatical from the blogging world. But I’m back, and once again have something to say.
Working in the corporate world teaches you a lot. And so does reality TV. So after a few weeks of wandering around downtown Hoston seeing all the business women, and a Saturday marathon of “Tim Gun’s Guide to Style,” I got to thinking. Tim Gun had a fabulous spin on what every woman should have in their closet, and you can find his article online. But the business world is a little bit different than the fashion world…supposedly. Women work in a man;s world of black suits and button ups, that give an androgenous feel to the body and the woman as a whole. But why? Why do women feel the urge to fall into the trap of sensible shoes, boxy Oxford shirts and no-wrinkle khacki pants? My friend, I do not. Why dress like the men, when you can dress like yourself, and still look profesional fab? I don’t think so. Don’t get me wrong, there is a line between being a stand out and just plain standing out, but I think you can be as fabulous in the business world as you are in real life. As Audrey Hepburn once said, “Be classy and fabulous.”
So along those lines, here are MY Top 10 items every business WOMAN needs in her closet. I had some help with all these, considering my mother has atempted to pound fashion sense in my head for years now. Maybe some of it is sinking in haha.
1. Black classic stilleto pointed pumps-Not stripper heels, but classy black patent or leather heels that are 4 inches or shorter.
2. White Fitted Oxford Shirt-I am obsessed with Brooks Brothers Oxford shirts, because they are cut for women and they don’t wrinkle ever! You dont want some big old shirt shoved into a skirt or pants, you want something that is professional and crisp, yet compliments your figure.the KEY to a good Oxford button up shirt, is that it does not pull over the chest area. If it does, but a size bigger and find a good tailor to put in some side darts! While you’re there, pick up a pink and a blue too for some color fun!
3. Pearl Earrings and Necklace-Absolutely no explanation needed,.Every woman should own a set of pearls.
4. Fitted Black Pants– The perfect pant as I call them. I have 4 pairs of the same exact black pants because I love them so much! Make sure they are long enough when wearing heels, lay comfortable on the waist and are always nicely pressed. You can pair them with just about any top or blazer.
5. White and Black Cardigans-Goes over any shirt, dress and can be actually worn or drapped. Makes any top go instantly to professional and covered. Grab some colored ones to spice up white shirts!
6. Day to Night Dress-The perfect dress that can go from professional during the day (possible with a sweater or blazer overit) to appropriate for both a work dinner or cocktail hour with friends. Shoes can always be changed and jewelry added,but a sleek day to night dress is always appropriate.
7. Plain Black Purse-Apparently the corporate backpack trand is coming back, but I beg to differ. No woman in a skirt suit looks good with her Jansport swung over her shoulder. But at the same time, the workplace might not be the place for your White signature LV Speedy.It can be designer and fabulous (mine happens to be python skin) but black, non-descript and mathes everything none the less.
8. Classic Black Pencil Skirt-Tight enough to draw the eye, not tight enough to look tashy. If you’ve got it flaunt it though, an work it girl.
9. A Fabulous Blazer-Well fitted, a fun color anhd flattering to the body that can be paired with simple black pants and shoes to make a funs tateament. White is a personal favorite of mine…
10. The perfect undershirt. It seems like everything can be too low cut, or see through or just needs an udnershit. The perfect white undershirt shouldnt even be noticed, just serve its prupose. My fav is from White House Black Market, has a built in bra top and is made of a fabulous fabric. Looks great under cardigans, blazers, everything!
So that is my little bit of insight into what women should wear in the workplace. Anything you would ass to the list? Let’s me real, its only a man’s world if you let i be!